Houses for Sale

Joseph Ellis House


 
“The Ellis House", circa 1732, Westwood, MA, was documented and disassembled Oct. 2014. This is a 28' 6" X 36' 6", 2 1/2 story home.  Decorated Summer Beam construction with decorated [stop chamfered] 3x4 joists. [no plaster/lath stains at joists] Common rafters w original roof boards. The exposed post & beam, studded frame is oak. The parlor and the parlor chamber have plastered ceilings.  Very unique vernacular framing. The brick chimney stack had four fireboxes, w/ oak lintels that were constructed together.  2 dome ovens,  2 cook fire boxes 84"X55' W/oven in the rear wall & 67'X55" W/oven in the rear wall The surviving vintage interior consists of first, second & third floor wide Red Pine floor boards. [wrought head nails], Front William & Mary staircase, feather edge boarding throughout the exterior and interior walls. paneled walls / wainscoting, at the parlor and parlor chamber all of the casings [posts beams] and every original 3 panel door w/foliated H hinges/spade latches. built-in cupboards, free standing cupboard, original back stairs, 1st & 2nd floor. pantries. The floor boards are hand planed both sides at the exposed ceilings. Minimum repairs, well documented, tagged, neatly stacked/strapped in a trailer, hundreds of images. Complete field drawings.
The Carpenter House


 
“The Carpenter House", circa 1730-1740 was documented and disassembled August 2014. One study of local structures puts a date of 1711. That is questionable considering the evidence from disassembly. [1980s B.U. Preservation Study available] This is a 28 ft x 40 ft Saltbox.  The left side is a plank framed,true, half Saltbox. The right side is a One over One (Chamber over Parlor) studded frame that was turned into a Salt box with the addition of the lean-to rafters and a rear one story frame. Both sides have Summer Beam construction with 4x4 joists. [no plaster/lath stains at joists] The post & beam frames are mixed oak and a later, small chestnut Ell [12X14 complete] was also saved. The brick chimney stack had four fireboxes that were constructed together.  2 dome ovens, arched F.P. openings [cook fire box 84"X50' W/oven in the rear wall] The surviving vintage interior consists of first & second floor 18"wide oak boards. [wrought heads], Front William & Mary staircase, back room with oak feather edge boarding. Chamfered, white washed posts, some paneling, all of the casings [posts beams] and every door w/ strap hinges/latches. Wainscoting, cupboards, 2 original windows, large 19th c. pantry  There is clear evidence [ back boards / now numbered] of a built-in "North Shore Dresser” in this case a "South Shore Dresser" Summer Beam is Tusk Tenon on one end [chimney girt] and drop dove tail on the [studded] end girt. Well thought out/executed  joinery.  Minimum repairs, well documented, tagged, neatly stacked/strapped in a trailer, hundreds of images. Complete field drawings.